the backwoods buggy

the backwoods buggy
6 cans of paint, 12 cans of beer

Pages

Monday, May 24, 2010

Standing On The Shoulders of Giants

The old saying is so true! I have very little new to say. I just want to distill down a bit of information down into easily digestable amounts. This post is going to be a n homage to my favorite resources for info about anything and everything homesteady. First and above all others is my hero, Jack Spirko, of The Survival Podcast. If you haven't listened to this show, then all I can say is "What the hell are you reading this piece of crap when you could be getting some terrific info at http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/ "
If you stiil are reading, then I guess I still have more resources to cite. My favorite magaazine is Backwoods Home Magazine, a bimonthly publication, which is available in part online. I highly recommmend subscribing: I have never been disappointed in a single issue, however newsstand circulation can be somewhat spotty. Extra goodies, such as digital anthologies and print books can also be had as parts of different subscription packages. If you're still not sold, just check out the available content at www.backwoodshome.com/
As a homebrewer, I have to say Charlie Papazian is aces. Of his three books, I have only read "The Homebrewers Companion" and "The New Complete Joy if Homebrewing". Both books have been witness to unplanned successes and fortuitous disasters, baring countless malt stains as battle scars. His liver must be classified as one of the wonders of the modern world. No online reference to homebrewing and homesteading would be complete without a tip of the hat to Johnny Max and the Queen over at http://www.sshomestead.com/ .
James Wesley, Rowles' book "How To Survive The End Of The World As We Know It" and "The Backyard Homestead" by Storey Publishing are another couple of favorites. As long as you know your place in the food chain, you may enjoy "How To Bag The Biggest Buck Of Your Life" by Larry Benoit and "The Trappers Handbook" by The national Trapper's Association. On the subject of trapping you'd be hard pressed to find a more readily digestible author than Oscar Cronk, Who has a species-specific work on just about every fur-bearer currently being harvested in the lower 48 Canadian provinces. Cronk's Scientific's Muskrat trapping was the first trapping book purchased by me, aside from all of the free stuff given to me by the Maine IFW when I took the trapper education class.
I'm a little tired now, so I'll say goodnight , Irene. I'm not really the creative sort, so that catchy sign-off catch phrase may never come. So...(awkward silence, crickets chirping, etc.)

No comments:

Post a Comment